Monday, July 25, 2005

When Exactly Are We Going to Grow Up

I feel overwhelmed.

Overwhelmed by all that we have to do. Overwhelmed with the idea that we might be almost done. Overwhelmed that the house might not sell. Overwhelmed with my dear friends horrible shit storm marital problems. Overwhelmed with sadness for Monica.

I am tired just thinking about that.

It keeps taking me by surprise that we are all old enough to be dealing with this--friends dying, marriages breaking, possible terminal illnesses . . .I guess we aren't eighteen anymore.
***

A few years ago I used to get really upset about what my co-workers were up to. As a workaholic I would get so frustrated that people didn't work as hard or as fast or as well as I thought they should. I would waste so much time and energy worrying about that. Finally I realized that "eyes on your own paper" was the best policy. It is none of my business or concern what other people do with their time at work. That policy has served me well--I get more done, have less rage and behave like less of an asshole.

Now the people who harp on other people's work habits send me into a rage. Guess I never will grow up will I?


***
Funny how we can have adult problems and kid problems at the same damn time isn't it?

***This post has been heavily edited, which I never do, because I am an asshole. Long story short and all.

No comments: