Sunday, October 09, 2005

It Would Clash With My Couch

Since I was such a big baseball fan when we met I think J thought I loved all sports. Which was sort of true. I love the Olympics in a cheesy and embarrassing way and can lose a Saturday afternoon just flipping around ESPN. I watch way too much Sportscenter. I liked baseball and hockey but had no use for basketball or boxing or football.

He doesn't care about boxing. Kobe Bryant's bratty behavior caused him to give up the NBA and he has managed to lure me into the wonder of March Madness. But my indifference towards football really bugged J.

I didn't really understand football when we got married. I mean I understood how you scored and some of the basic foundations but the rules seemed needlessly complicated and the games go so slow. But, in the spirit of marital harmony, I become a 49ers fan and started watching games with him most Sundays.

Of course now I get most of the rules and will make fun of the announcers with him and have my favorite players (I know he is with Tampa Bay but I have just LOVED Cadillac Williams since this great feature on him in ESPN the Magazine a couple of years ago). It is fun for us to be on the same side since we spend all of baseball season torturing each other.

But even I was a little surprised when I woke up this morning and practically skipped to the TV. And was PISSED because we had overslept and missed the first part of the Seahawks game (our second favorite team and they were playing the Rams who WE HATE).

J just grinned like a loon, apparently delighted he has managed to turn me into a football fan.

I am still not letting him put a 49ers fireplace screen in the living room though. There are limits to being a fan.

No comments: