Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

My head is intact by still crabby and I am home sick today. Watching my dogs freak the fuck out about snow and the construction crew across the street.

Today is obviously Valentine's Day. I am not disgusted by it the way I think you are supposed to be if you want to be a hipster (which clearly I can't pull that shit off anyway) nor am do I love it the way I would if I were the kind of woman who wears pink angora sweaters and the heart charm bracelet from Tiffany's. Both of those responses to the day seem pretty valid to me, but like so many things Valentine's Day just doesn't illicit much of a response from me.

I miss the grade school version of this holiday--making a construction paper mailbox to sit on your desk, getting cards from everyone in class, the cupcakes. Wouldn't that be refreshing for the corporate world? Seriously, if you had to give your co-workers little notes and candies. Now that is a holiday of love.

J and I don't really celebrate it so much. Our anniversary is in about a week and of course that is more important to us. This year, because of some financial shenanigans and pay day being tomorrow, we didn't even exchange cards. That feels about right to me. I love me some love notes and flowers and dinners out. But I don't really need it on a specific day (not that I would be outraged or anything).

In fact, I can remember only one Valentine's Day that was a great one for me. My freshman year in college I was away from home. I kept trying to break up with my boyfriend who I didn't even like anymore but was (shamefully) not ballsy enough to break it off clean. We were on a break (sigh, I was eighteen y'all, that is my only excuse) and I was sort of dating some one else. And had slept with some one else the week before. I bitched and bitched to a friend of mine in a manner that only a student at a women's college (where a holiday like Valentine's Day is practically an OLYMPIC competition) that I hated the holiday, that I wished we could all skip it.

The next day I woke up and my friend had covered my door with hearts with messages about how glad she was that I was there, how happy she was to be my friend, how much she loved me. Again, I know this was a women's college so y'all are imagining that this ended with us in a pillow fight in our underwear and an orgy in the shower and I am tempted to lie (IMAGINE THE HITS) but I shall resist the urge to Jame Frey it and really that was just my best holiday because what an expression of love from a friend.

Heh. I also got flowers from the ex-ish boyfriend, the date and the guy I slept with so I was the GOLD MEDALIST. And honestly a legend for that one, well deserved I think.

So I hope all of you have a lovely day, celebrated in the manner which you desire and that if you need it some one pastes valentines to your door.

No comments: