Thursday, February 23, 2006

I Just Want To Know Who Picked More Than Five Years Because They Owe Me A Slurpy Or Something Today

It is the tomorrow already on the east coast so I am going to post this now.

Five years ago today I made the dumbest decision I have ever made. There was no good reason for two twenty-two year olds with no money and no idea what they were doing to get married that day but we did.

And I have felt grateful for that every day since.

It seems sometimes that other people often get the breaks when it comes to money or their careers while J and I just paddle along. There are moments when this seems unfair until I realize that I got to marry the perfect person for me almost by accident. And then I feel lie I owe the world an apology. I have gotten to grow up with my husband, to break him in slowly. I do not have undo another woman's bad habits and believe me I know what a gift that can be.

I feel truly lucky every single day. That is what love and marriage can be--that is how you know that even though there is undoubtedly a pool going at your wedding and you can barely afford to go out to dinner on your wedding night let alone a honeymoon that you should marry him anyway. Because waking up every day and feeling so fortunate is something that logic cannot replace.

I never wanted to be married. And I was an idiot. I know that I spent all my lucky chips in one fell swoop five years ago. And I would do it all again.

Happy five years, Baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Anyabeths!