Thursday, August 25, 2005

Color Commentary

A few weeks ago, in a Yankee deprived rage, J subscribed to MLB Audio because he couldn't watch a game on TV, even with our expanded baseball cable package.

Since he got the whole season I like to log in at work and listen to the day games. We have had the cable package for two years now and I have a had a few weeks with the radio and I have laughed so hard at the hometown coverage of teams around the league.

Now I expect that teams will promote the positives about their own players. This is natural and expected--teams have to pay the bills somehow and tricking their fans into paying attention is one way to pull that off. There is a reason that my dad still believes that Jamie Moyer is a decent player.

But some teams, especially on the radio, just take that up a notch. Teams emphasize how important mediocre players are to their "chemistry." They talk up prospects that will probably never even be called up.

But it is the random remarks and conversations that pop up during a game that are great entertainment--enough to even listen to a Tampa Bay game. My Cubs' announcers are incredibly detailed when describing the uniforms of both teams--using color names like burnt sienna and aubergine--as though the people listening have never seen a game.

Today the Yankee announcer went into a fifteen minute anecdote about how his daughter because obsessed with Beauty and the Beast and said her first words in Lumiere's accent.

That way actually way better than the game.

Now everyone run over to Keepin It Real, my pal is sick and needs your comments STAT.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hee - I'm ok, I promise.
My intestines are not going to fall out. I hope...