Sunday, March 05, 2006

To Go Or Not To Go

A couple of weeks ago I got a postcard announcing my tenth high school reunion is coming up this summer. I threw it in my purse and tried to pretend that it hadn't come.

Because I don't know if I want to go or not.

I didn't have a bad high school experience. I was neither popular or unpopular. I had friends and activities and had as good a time as is possible without becoming one of those sickos that really LIKED high school. I wasn't scarred by the whole ordeal but I am not sure how I real feel about the whole thing.

I haven't maintained friendships with anyone from high school. I haven't seen anyone for at least seven years. I can't actually think of a reason that I should go but then again I can't really think of a reason that I shouldn't.

How DECISIVE of me huh?

It seems like people go to reunions because they want to see other people all fat and old. Or to prove that their lives are better than their former classmates. I am quite sure that some people I went to school with are fat. I am sure that some of them have failed to do the things they wanted to. I am sure others are beautiful and successful. I think when I was eighteen I might have really enjoyed seeing a fat cheerleader or too. And I do have a job that would impress some people (stupid people but STILL). None of that feels very important though. I suppose that is being an adult (LAME).

So I am torn on the whole thing. I have nothing to prove to anyone and nothing I want some one to prove to me. The only reason to go is to possible see people I may miss without even realizing it.

And to show of my awesomely hot husband of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't go to my 5th or 10th High School reunion, but I did go to my 20th. Seemed like an apt milestone to check back in with the people I went to high school with. It was ok. I don't think my wife got too totally bored. The one thing that did stand out to me though was that the people who had stayed in town, rather than moving away, were just like they were in high school. Even though they were and looked 20 years older, its like they were in some time warp and acted just like they had in high school. It was weird. You just wanted to go up to them and smack them and tell them to grow up.

Anonymous said...

I went to my 10 year reunion a few years ago and had a blast!! It was so fun to go and not care what anyone thought anymore, just to enjoy seeing how everyone had changed. The best part was finding my best friend from elementary school. We've been close ever since, and it was worth it for that alone.