Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Swear, It Isn't An Oprah/Uma Thing

I have a whole PC/is this racist quandary that I have been wrestling with for quite some time and I just have no idea really.

There is this lovely woman at my office, who I don't know at all but see in the bathroom and around, who looks just like Oprah. I mean Oprah in her thin, gorgeous glowy way (but this gal is probably younger by a hair or two). She really does look like Oprah and I would certainly complimented to be told that (you know, if it could be remotely true which it can't since I am white and blond and thirty years younger but STILL I think Oprah is gorgeous). But is this one of those things that every attractive black woman gets told that she looks like Oprah? I have a friend who is a handsome black man who gets told endlessly that he looks like Denzel Washington, despite looking nothing like Denzel. That just seems to be white people code for handsome black man.

So I say nothing to her, which is undoubtedly fine, because HI we are in the bathroom and don't know each other and really she probably does not give a shit about what some honky thinks of her anyway.

I should probably stop staring at her though huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should tell your co-worker that you LOVED 'The Color Purple' but never really liked 'Brewster's Place.' THEN tell her that she looks like Oprah.

Anonymous said...

I once said a black man looked like OJ. And man, did he. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought The Juice was driving through my town. Of course, all my friends called me a racist. I mean, but if he looked like OJ why should I say he looked like Bob Barker?