Thursday, November 22, 2007

Favorite Holiday

Thanksgiving is pretty much my favorite holiday. There are no religious complications, no pressure for anyone, no fussy clothes or things to set on fire. In my family we keep it low key, just the five of us this year, with lots a gorgeous food and naps afterwards and yeah, my mom and I played a board game from the 50's.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty that Miss Thang won't ever have the crazy cousins Thanksgivings that we had as kids, with tons of people at my Grandma's house and a turkey and a ham because you have to have two meats. The kids ripping the house to shreds and people everywhere and man we had a great time. She won't get that. If she has cousins they will live 3000 miles away. I imagine next year will involve everyone trying to feed her things that I don't want her to have because she will be pre-allergy line. And they will get pissy with me. And we will have much the same day as we had today. At least I hope so. I think it's my favorite day of the year.

I have so much to be thankful for:

My husband, who is a giant asshole but is my asshole and also pretty damn great.

My family, who are so supportive and fun and sent me home with a cubic butt-ton of turkey. My parents are going to be crazy grandparents which I had a set of those--the kind that thought my sister and I ruled the universe--and every kid deserves at least one. To have two is a blessing beyond measure.

My friends, who make me laugh and listen to me complain and re-assure me that No, you do not look like a pregnant elephant.

My job, because it pays the bills and that's no small thing.

And most of all, that after the worst New Year's ever, somehow J and I caught a one in a million chance and got pregnant by accident. I don't know if I would have worked up the nerve on my own. And now we get to have this little girl. Who will have a name SOMEDAY I AM SURE RIGHT?

Also, I don't have to be pregnant more than ten more weeks MAX.

See? Favorite holiday.

No comments: