Sunday, March 20, 2005

Needs a Bibbity Bobbity Boo

J and I are planning to sell our house this summer. People in our neighborhood are selling their houses for incredible prices and we are eager to get the hell out of Dodge.

I have been checking out what we can get in the area where we want to live. We want an older house, one that doesn't need anything but cosmetic repairs. We don't want to live anywhere with a home owners' association. We want a yard.

I love looking at houses so this is actually a fun project for me. I haunt the real estate websites and have been to a number of open houses. There are some amazing homes in our price range and I just want to have a feel for what we can get.

Today we went out to lunch with my parents and I bullied J into taking me for a ride on the way home. We saw that one of the houses I had seen online was having an open house. I just had to go.

I just wanted to cry when I saw the inside. The layout was beautiful. Built in bookcases, a built in china cabinet. High ceilings. And some of the biggest crimes against home decor ever conceived.

I am not a big fan of the faux finish trend. I am really not a fan when it is down in lavender like it was in the powder room. There was stenciling everywhere. In awful colors. All of the woodwork was painted, usually in colors that didn't even make sense with one another. One of the bedrooms had cheap and ugly laminate floors. Also an odd accordion pocket door.

You can tell that this house has been a rental. The only furniture were mattresses in a couple of the bedrooms. The clothes are being stored in milk crates. The whole place needed to be cleaned and possibly fumigated.

But under that grime was a fabulous house. You would need some money to put new floors and fixtures in. It just makes me sad because I am sure that no one will ever be willing to go through all of that. That house needs a fairy godmother.

No comments: