Sunday, August 21, 2005

Is There A Little League Nation?

I love the Little League World Series.

I get sucked into almost every game. I become fascinated by the kids from Saudi Arabia who all seem to be from Montana. I cheer for both teams in a game. I get so excited when the shortest kid on the team comes up with a big hit.

Little League can be the best of what being a kid should be about. I am sure that there are assholes who are mean to the kids or who are too competitive. But all I see is the kids that are thrilled to be there. Who can hardly believe they are going to be on TV and Sportscenter. I see the parents who are so wired they can barely sit down to watch the game.

J hates the Little League World Series. He thinks ESPN is exploiting the kids and that it is mean to put it on TV. I would think that if you took a poll of the kids playing that you would see about 90% of them happy that it is on TV but I could be wrong. Maybe it is wrong to put kid's games on cable. But how else is Grandma going to watch?

I just cannot help be happy for everyone. Even if you lose you are still on one of the sixteen best teams in the world. What the hell is wrong with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that this will not come as a shock to you, but I also love the Little League World Series! So much fun! And how about that team yesterday that came back from being down 8-1 to win 9-8? That was some excitement!

What I can't understand is how Kentucky is in the Great Lakes division? Apparently touching a state that touches a lake is good enough?

Amy in NY